Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Reflexology Benefits for Arthritis

Rheumatoid Arthritis. Does Reflexology help with this condition?

At Footsteps In Eden, my own reflexology practice in Bartlett, TN, I'm often asked about specific conditions and how reflexology may help. Over the next weeks, I will be posting what I believe will be some informative and helpful posts with links to further information on reflexology and its possible benefits for common (and perhaps a few not so common) health related issues. Your personal experiences are highly valued. Please share your comments for all of us to learn more.

The "Arthritis Treated with Alternative Medicine" website has this to say about reflexology for arthritis relief:
The benefits of reflexology extend past simply relieving pain. This alternative method of healing can also be used to achieve balance and health as well as to maintain good health, and
Reflexology can be used to achieve good health and balance or to alleviate symptoms from stress, migraines, infertility, back pain, arthritis and injury. It is not a means to cure ailments but rather a method to soothe and ease pain without the side effects of medications. Reflexology can speed the healing process and may be used alongside traditional medicine and medications.


Personally, I found this tidbit from the Universal College of Reflexology to be quite interesting. The part of the body affected (by arthritis) is shown by a knuckle enlargement of the corresponding finger.
Index Finger -- Hips & Lower Back
Middle Finger -- Knees
Ring Finger -- Legs and Feet
Small Finger -- Neck & Upper Back

For anyone with arthritis that is reading this, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this concept. Comments?

Explaining how reflexology may be helpful for arthritis sufferers, The Reflexology Clinic shares this from the Newsletter archives. (Visit their website to view the complete article.)
Arthritis is considered to be any abnormality of a joint with heat, pain & inflammation. Arthritis puts stress on the body that is often in a highly acidic state . . . . due to a large quantity of acid waste material (uric acid) which affects the bony structure of the body because it is not being eliminated properly from the system. Acid waste material collects in the joints causing swelling & in some cases can even cause complete calcification & deformity because of the erosive action.

Although modern medicine provides some relief from the pain of arthritis, we can go back to the simplicity of nature for help as well. Our body has the capacity to cure itself of any ailment that might attack it when given a little help from nature. Using reflexology we can stimulate the particular problem area such as the knee, shoulder, hip, legs, lower back, etc. as well as the organs of elimination to assist in removing acid waste material from the body. By stimulating specific reflexes we help detoxify an acidic system & enhance the immune system.


While it is important to understand reflexologists do not diagnose or treat diseases, and their services do not in anyway substitute for regular medical care, the caring & supportive touch therapy reflexologists offer may be helpful to those suffering from arthritis.

Visit my reflexology website: FootstepsInEden to see interactive footcharts, find information about other benefits of reflexology, to order gift certificates, and see what clients are saying about reflexology.

8 comments:

curlysue said...

I have what I think is arthritis in my feet. I have had two reflexology sessions in the past fortnight and my feet are feeling better already!

Lynn said...

Thanks for the comment. It is always a delight to hear of people like you being helped by this amazing therapy. I'm in awe of God for the results I see for clients served on a regular basis. It is just such a blessing.

Anonymous said...

I am extremely interested in reading more about reflexology and autoimmune diseases. I have RA, Lupus and Crest Syndrome. I've asked my RA doc what causes this and he really didn't give me an answer. I recently began having problems with cystitis of the bladder and gastrointestinal issues. I am convinced that all of these conditions are caused by a defiency of something or even over production of an acid. I am going to be trying several things to see if I can find some relief. I am on several medications and have the benefit of some relief of symptoms; however, I think that is all that they are treating, just the symptoms. I'd rather try to find the cause and treat that with reflexology and other more natural methods.

Lynn said...

Don't know where you are located, but here's a link to a naturopath who I know will speak with you. He had one patient following some of his suggestions who was cured of lupus. You are so wise in saying that you think the meds are mostly treating symptoms, but not the cause. Reflexology is so helpful for so, so many conditions. Here's the link to the research that you may find helpful as well.

Naturopath: http://ahe4life.com/
Reflexology Research:
http://reflexologyresearch.net/

Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I am 36 and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and i am doing reflexology for past two weeks and i am feeling better and my fingers are moving more and it is relaxed.

Lynn said...

This is awesome news. I love it when posts like this are helpful to others. So thankful for you that you are finding relief with reflexology! Thank you so much for posting your note. It was an honor to also post it on Footsteps In Eden's facebook page. Praying you continue to see great improvements and quickly move toward greater health and wellness. :o)

Bella said...

I have had reflexology treatments a few times a year for the last 4 years, and really feel different after each session: relaxed and tired often. I believe that the relationship with the reflexologist is important (ie. time in exchange also leads to very real hands on comfort)...she does have strong hands which detect all kinds of pain and ill-ease.
however I have begun to wonder if the work on the big toe could have contributed to my Hallux Rigidus...arthritis in the big toe...thinking of when we were told not to crack our joints because they would be damaged??? I wonder if it could have been "activated" by this treatment? The evolution of this problem is scientifically unknown...?

Lynn said...

Bella,

Thanks for your comment and concerns. It appears as though your reflexologist uses very firm pressure. This works well for some, but may be too much for you. Even very gentle pressure is very effective since nerve endings rather than connective tissue (i.e. muscle) is being stimulated.

Relaxation is the number one benefit of reflexology, allowing your body to be in a more balanced state of being and encouraging it toward greater health and wellness.

You mention some times being tired after a session. That is not an abnormal response. It may be even more frequent following deep pressure reflexology techniques. Also, Reflexology may loosen toxins in your body. As your body deals with the processes to eliminate those, it may feel tired. You may find you feel much better when the tiredness passes. Several of my clients find it very helpful to take epsom salt baths following their sessions. They believe it helps them with the elimination of any toxins.

I am no medical doctor, and offer no diagnosis of particular problems. To my knowledge, reflexology has not led to any other medical problems. I would imagine that heavy pressure, though, may have irritated rather than relieved symptoms that already existed.

I would also add, that I believe strongly, regularly scheduled reflexology sessions (I suggest 1-3 weeks apart and not more than 4) are very important to see the cumulative benefits this modality has to offer. In my opinion, seeing your reflexologist once every 3 months really is little more than a once in awhile feel good treat with much less potential for affecting positive changes in the body (physically, emotionally & spiritually).

Hope this helps.