Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Words You Say to Yourself


Our women's Sunday School class has recently begun studying the book, SELF TALK, SOUL TALK, by Jennifer Rothschild. A very key scripture of this study is the verse:
"Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my Strength and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14.

As you have considered this familiar verse have you ever thought about it including the words you say to yourself? What a total slap in the face of the God who created us when we call ourselves names like "Idiot," "Stupid," "Dumb," "Not Good Enough," etc. Anything less than speaking the truth of who we are in Him is language enough to bring us to our knees, breaking our hearts as we consider the wounds we have inflicted upon His.

It is amazing to me how often I awake with the voices from the past who have called me some of those names, speaking over and over again. The voices become my voice. I find myself crying out to God for forgiveness, and courage to seek and know and most of all believe THE TRUTH.

The verse above along with another treasured scripture have been my focus. Ephesians 2:10 tells us,
"We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."
He created us and he has work for us. We have a purpose, and we are not dumb, stupid, or not good enough. He's expecting big things. Will we speak these words of truth to our spirits, and believe that He is sufficient in us to bring life through us?!

You might find some wonderful food for thought on the subject of the words we speak to ourselves at Jennifer's Self Talk, Soul Talk blog.

3 comments:

purposedriven said...

I just ordered the book "Self Talk Soul Talk." I am anxious to start reading it! I also wanted to tell you about a great natural vitamin supplement made by a company called Arbonne. (Contact me for more information on this company) The women's "Hyrids" are a daily power pack of six vitamins that you take twice a day. They are a combination of multivitamin and multimineral tablets made with superfood antioxidants and botanicals. I literally have not been sick since I started them!

Anonymous said...

This is Jennifer Rothschild's very own Dr. Phil. I'm her husband. It is wonderful to hear you write of Self Talk Soul Talk. We hope God uses this book to impact lives. Blessings. Philip

Lynn said...

We are just two weeks into using this book as our Sunday School study over the winter months. I believe it has already blessed many in many ways. Thanks for the encouragement and for leaving the comment. I know that the ladies will love hearing on Sunday that you have found your way to my little blog and left your kind words.