Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Infertility and Caffeine


Infertility (or subfertility as I've been taught to term it) is an area to which I am particularly drawn in my reflexology practice. The interest became very personal with the difficulties my grown children had in beginning families of their own. My experiences and personal research give me great hope that God may use me along with the giftings which He has given and the skills He has allowed me to acquire, to help couples overcome this challenge through reflexology. What a sacred privilege!

Along my journey of discovery on this topic and the health & wellness issues accompanying it, the premise that caffeine my have a very dramatic affect on fertility presents itself often. Once again this morning while working with a client facing this challenge, God's infinite leading prompted me to ask about her and her husband's caffeine consumption.

Doing a bit of research looking for statistics on the topic, this information from the website Helping Conception came to my attention.

Starting your day off with a cup of joe may help you wake up, but it can put your fertility to sleep. In clinical studies on women, drinking coffee was found to decrease their ability to conceive within 12 months. The more coffee the women drank, the more their fertility rate went down. While women who drank one cup of coffee a day had a 55% increased chance of infertility, women who drank three or more cups of coffee a day were 176% less likely to be able to conceive within a 12-month period.

While this comment mentions women only, similar statistics may be found on the connection between men's fertility and caffeine. It has been suggested that caffeine may give a very quick surge to motility of the sperm. The downside to that is at has also been studied and suggested that the surge is very short lived and then the motility may almost stop.

For those who may be challenged with subfertility issues, whether you or someone you know and love, this may be a very simple but effective key to becoming pregnant.

A small note here: remember that caffeine may be in coffee, tea, colas and other soft drinks as well as chocolate.

No comments: