Sunday, April 20, 2008

Earth Day -- This Week

Earth Day is celebrated this week. Over the years I've had various reactions to the attitudes and types of people that might celebrate this day. . . . some more honorable than others I'll have to admit. As I've contemplated the position I choose to take about the earth and how we live upon on it as its caretakers my only honest conclusions come from the words of the ONE BOOK I truly believe to be the very basis of truths that man is wise to live and follow. Everyone may not agree. It doesn't make it any less GOD'S TRUTH, and I choose for myself to follow Him to Eternity.

So, what words are found on this subject in The Bible? I'm so glad you asked. Well, even if you didn't -- I'll be sharing any way. Here they are.

Genesis 1:27-29 (The Message)*
26-28 God spoke: "Let us make human beings in our image, make them
reflecting our nature
So they can be responsible for the fish in the sea,
the birds in the air, the cattle,
And, yes, Earth itself,
and every animal that moves on the face of Earth."
God created human beings;
he created them godlike,
Reflecting God's nature.
He created them male and female.
God blessed them:
"Prosper! Reproduce! Fill Earth! Take charge!
Be responsible for fish in the sea and birds in the air,
for every living thing that moves on the face of Earth."

29-30 Then God said, "I've given you
every sort of seed-bearing plant on Earth
And every kind of fruit-bearing tree,
given them to you for food.
To all animals and all birds,
everything that moves and breathes,
I give whatever grows out of the ground for food."
And there it was.


These words speak of human being's responsibility to care for the planet where we eat, breathe, and live. To care for the planet and all of its forms of life seems to mean cultivating the gifts we've been given here on the planet to sustain life that is created in the Image of God, and reflecting His nature.

Personally, I've come to believe that means doing what is in my power to use up less of our natural resources, share resources when possible, and use the least amount of toxic products that add to the pollution of the environment we call home (your home, your community, your country, your world, your universe). To the best of my ability, and a little more each day, I look for the least invasive means to health & wellness; the foods that are grown with loving care and the resources of nature rather than man-made chemicals that are harmful to our health and environment; opportunities to recycle; purchase locally produced foods and goods; and more.

I believe these are the type of choices our Creator is pleased for us to make. I believe He is honored when we choose to use His provisions with wisdom and care!







The Message, Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson [The Message at Navpress] [NavPress]

Clipart Graphic from KABOOSE

4 comments:

NoJo said...

it's nice to read a 'green' journal from God's view. Most 'green' things I read are from a worldly, secular view and trying to find a way to think green and think God. which actually DO go togehter, it's not not promoted that way often.

I'm new. I found your blog while looking for good blogs to read. hopefully you can stop by mine sometime. it's not nearly as pretty as yours, though.

JoAnn said...

Lynn, I really REALLY like your blog! Thank you for your kind words about my blog too. I think I'm going to make a shirt with that saying on it. I'd love to share links to eachother! I'll add yours today.

Jo

NoJo said...

thanks! what's the easiest way to save a blog to read? At cafe mom I just click to add their journal to my list of shortcuts. Is there a feature like that here or do I just save them into a favorite file?

Lynn said...

Nojo, I'm fairly new at this blogging thing as well. I started back in October. While I've posted quite a lot, I'm just beginning to learn about the ways to subscribe and lots of other features, as well. In fact, just last week I was finally able to have a "subscribe" button that I believe actually works. At least my test has.

If you click on the "subscribe" button at the top right of my blog it gives several options for receiving the new posts. One of those may be exactly what you are looking for.

Does anyone else that may read this have any helpful insights for us on this?

I'll be attending a meeting this evening with a speaker that will be focusing on websites and blogs and using them as tools to share and grow. I'm praying there will be some valuable information gleaned from there as well.