Sunday, August 30, 2009

Overcoming the Blues

Saturday I bought some beautiful sunflowers and some red flowers of which I'm uncertain of their identity. I'm always delighted with the colorful selection of beauty in Mr. Chandler's flower booth at our local farmers' market. These were no exception. I brought them home and chose to display them in my only blue vase (which is normally in the back of the top cabinet on the top shelf because, as you know, blue is not my favorite color). After all it would make a great post for Blue Monday hosted by Smiling Sally.

Of course, with my passion for wellness and a blog that features suggestions for holistic health and wellness, I had to find a way to bring that in also. Consider these sunflowers would definitely be a sunny and uplifting spot in an otherwise BLUE day. The number of people suffering from the blues to mild or severe depression seems to be growing continuously. Perhaps it is our over committed lifestyles, relationship challenges, poor health, problems with the children, finances -- There are just so many challenges that will steal our joy and even cause an onset of depression in our lives. Where do we turn to combat the blues or worse. As my blog them goes, King Solomon words surely apply here: "Tranquility is life to the body.... (that Scripture finishes with ) stress is rottenness to the bones."

In my reflexology practice I'm saddened by the number of individuals who are finding it necessary to take medications for depression and anxiety. Some of these are some very young adults. While these medications may be helpful they also carry side effects. You hear those listed on every drug advertisement which bombards your senses as they are broadcast straight into your living room. Are there other options? (Please see note below.)

When you are feeling down, is the first place you turn to the Lord? I pray it is so. There is no burden we carry that is too big for Him. Jesus tells us, "Come to me all you are are weak and weary and heavy ladened. Cast your cares upon Me, because I care for you." He'll take care of the worries and stresses that easily take us down when we fret about them and take them on in our own strength. God through nature and human touch has also provided us with some amazing natural resources for improving our lives.

In the photo above you will notice little bottles of essential oils. Allow me to share with you how these may be helpful in cases of blues, depression, anxiety and similar challenges.

*Peace and Calming® -- The oils in this blend (tangerine, orange, ylang ylang, patchouli and blue tansy) may help it be effective for dealing with various problems related to the nervous system and emotional balance. This blend of oils is perfect for calming nerves or emotion at the end of a long day or in times of stress. (Apply to navel, feet, back of neck or wear as perfume.)

*Hope(TM) -- The single oils in this blend (melissa, myrrh, juniper and spruce) have the ability to help support the body physically and mentally to give us hope. Those oils when inhaled together may give us the feeling of going forward with hope and achievement. It reconnects us with a feeling of strength and grounding. It may also help relieve depression and suicidal thoughts. (Apply on outer edge of ears, chest, heart, temples, nape of neck feet and wrists. Wear as perfume or cologne.)

*Joy(TM) -- This blend is a beautiful complimentary blend of oils (lemon, mandarin, bergamot, ylang ylang, rose, rosewood, geranium, palmarosa, roman chamomile, and jasmine). When inhaled it brings back memories of being loved, being held, sharing loving times, feeling and opening those blocks in our lives where perhaps we have shut down to love or receiving love or love of self. When there is grief, the adenoids and the adrenal glands shut down; Joy opens these glands. (Rub over heart, ears, neck, thymus, heart chakras, temples, across brown and wrists. Put in bath water, wear as cologne, or put two drops on a wet cloth and put in the dryer for great smelling clothes.)

Also, reflexology is an incredible natural therapy for helping to overcome depression. An article at GoToSee, a complementary therapy website in the UK, presents the case for this so well I won't even begin to describe it here. You are invited to visit their website to learn so much more about the number one benefit of reflexology to reduce stress and bring a sense of tranquility to the body. May I strongly encourage you to take a little side trip to this site especially if you or someone you know suffers regularly from depression, anxiety or just the plain old blues. While there are no guarantees, some of my clients have reduced the amount of medication they are taking after receiving regular reflexology sessions. (Please see note below.) You may also learn more about reflexology at my Footsteps In Eden site.

*The descriptive information on these oils comes from the book, "Reference Guide for Essential Oils" by Connie and Alan Higley. The oils are proprietary blends from Young Living Essential Oils.

PLEASE NOTE: This post is informational only. My reflexology registration with the state of TN is under the department of Health Related Boards. I am in no way advocating that anyone go against physicians' instructions or stop medications. I am not a medical doctor and I do not diagnose, prescribe, or alter medications. That is outside the scope of my practice.

9 comments:

Queen B. said...

oOOOOOOOOOO i LOVE Honey Vanilla Chamomile BY CELESTIAL SEASONINGS........SO SOOTHING !

SmilingSally said...

Interesting post you've contributed. I'm glad that you carefully encouraged people to stick with their doctor's advice. I know to stop taking meds can cause adverse effects. Happy Blue Monday.

Lynn said...

Stopping many medications, especially cold turkey, has many adverse side effects as well. When using complementary therapies be sure to work with your health care professional to monitor your progress and allow them to make any adjustments that may be helpful to you.

As a reflexologist, with some medical conditions I make it mandatory to have written consent from the client's physician before I will do reflexology.

Sarah said...

Lynn, thanks for stopping by to visit. You Blue Monday post is interesting. I do hope you pull out our unfinished needlepoint projects. I set a goal to do just that in 08. I'm working my way through the stack. My garden lady was one that was complete except for just a bit of the background. Don't know why she got put aside to linger in the unfinished department, but she did. I'm so thrilled with her, I can hardly stand it. Can't believe I waited so long to get her finished. I'm proud to say that I've finished many others from that stack as well. I'm on a roll! Hope you have success with your projects. Enjoy! Needlepoint is so relaxing for me.
Hope to see you again. ~ Hyacinth

Happily Retired Gal said...

Lovely advice for coping with the blues. Thank you.
Hugs and blessings,

YayaOrchid said...

Lyn, thank you so much for your visit and your words of encouragement. As for me, I ♥ your ministry and the desire of your heart to help others. I find it so refreshing that you have opted to follow a holistic discipline which is intertwined with the Gospel and full of life-giving Scripture. Too often, these very things are twisted and perverted by those with a 'new age' and pagan agenda.

My Sister studied Reflexology briefly years ago, and also iridology, and she too is a born again Christian. She is always telling me to take herbal vitamins and supplements (I'm rather lazy about taking pills). So I know that this approach is something people use to better their health. Who's to say that medical doctors know everything there is to know? I will be visiting your blog again. I have enjoyed reading it.

Anonymous said...

What an informative post!!

Unknown said...

Nice picture. Your alternative medicine study is interesting, too.

Lynn said...

Complementary and alternative therapies are gaining interest and acceptance on Main Street, but we still have a ways to go. Quite often I'm asked "Do you have a "new age" background," when I mention that I am a reflexologist and aromatherapist?

The answer to the above question is a resounding NO! I believe strongly that God provided many gifts and resources to keep us well and to restore our health and wellness. In Scripture you will find many references to plants. Having come to understand the value of many of those for our health & wellness has dramatically increased my understanding and appreciation for God's Word and for the miraculous provisions he supplies.

While I'm not personally in tune with much of the western medical mindset, I am also thankful to God that we do have that available to us also. While the system has become corrupt, much of what it offers is also a gift from God. It saved my life earlier this summer.

There's no hocus pocus in my practice. I'm just His humble servant. The skills He has led me to acquire in the area of natural healing... and my hands .... I offer them to Him daily.... His vessel to bring His love and His healing to each person He allows me to serve. My prayer for each individual is that they will see God not me, and feel His presence and His touch.