Thursday, August 27, 2009

Rescuing Orphans -- A Thankful Thrusday Offering

A heart of thankfulness and gratitude is a great measure of health and wellness to the body, mind, and spirit. Grace Alone host Thankful Thursdays. I have seen others posts for this meme, but have not posted there before -- I'm not sure I have even visited. That's my loss for sure. Today a post for Thankful Thursday caught my attention and I was drawn there to the theme of thankfulness with the thoughts of rescue in mind. I'm so glad I did.

For those who have visited Alive! recently you know that my son and his wife are on an adoption journey to "rescue" two children from their very difficult circumstances in Ethiopia. We haven't met these precious children yet or even know who they are. What we do know is that there are 5 million orphans in Ethiopia because of an every growing HIV/Aids crisis, drought, & famine. While family is important to the Ethiopian people, these millions of children have no one left with the means to care for them. Two of them will soon be welcomed with love by our family. The anticipation is great and the needs to see this through are also great.


Adoption, unfortunately, is a very expensive undertaking in terms of dollars needed to actually bring the children home to their "forever families." Through my love and passion for fabrics, embroidery, and creative endeavors along with the financial need these charming bracelets and treasure pockets were born. Notice in the photos that we've added a darling little charm of Africa as a reminder to the wearer that this is benefiting the family's adoption. The treasure pockets you see in the background of the next photo were originally created as a way to fund my reflexology schooling a few years back. Two to three hundred were sold. Sixty or seventy have been waiting around for their opportunity to contribute to another great cause. God is so good...always providing opportunities.

Now combine these lovely creations with my reflexology practice. The display you see here is on my dining room table where all my clients stop to pay for their reflexology sessions and to book their next appointment. Since my practice is part-time seeing 7-8 clients in an average week, I'm very excited and THANKFUL on this THANKFUL THURSDAY to report that these earned $150 just this week toward the adoption. It's very exciting to be a part of this "rescue" journey. Praise the Lord for His goodness and faithfulness in all these lives!

Please, if you will, read more about their story at their Ethiopia's Calling blog. They are having a giant yard/garage sale at Amy's parents' home in the Chicagoland area this weekend. Thank you for praying for them for beautiful weather, motivated shoppers, and a very successful event bringing them steps closer to being united with the children God has waiting to join their family.

7 comments:

Debbie Petras said...

So glad that you joined in on this thankful Thursday. What an appropriate theme given the circumstances in your family's life with adopting children. I thank you for visiting Heart Choices. I love hearing these adoption stories and how people wish to rescue children and provide for and nurture them.

Connie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. In regards to my dd, you know, I don't think of her past as being sad anymore. I think it was God's plan all along - to show His glory in her miraculous rescueing. Just like these two little ones from Ethiopia. We'll be praying all works out to God's glory. My husband and I have a real heart for Africa - Swaziland specifically - but for all the hurting children in that nation.

Andrea said...

This is my first visit here. You have a beautiful heart and I look forward to getting to know you better. Thank you for your prayers on my behalf.
Two of our five kids are adopted. Blessings and prayers, andrea

Karen said...

What a sweet post...and the type of rescue you wrote about is such a wonderful one...will be praying for the adoption to go smoothly....

Denise said...

Thanks for having such a heart for others, be blessed.

i said...

Hello, this is my first visit here too. So glad you joined in at Thankful Thursday. Such good work you and your family are doing for the Ethiopians. Many blessings to you.

Rita T. said...

Interesting post. Have a wonderful weekend!